Sunday, November 28, 2010

hooray for today!

Began my day at around 1:30, when I decided to go to the New Tetryakov Museum. I left around 2 (all by myself!), made my way from Belorusskaya to Park Kultury, and from there a hike across the pedestrian bridge to the museum. And once I located the entrance... (It sounds silly, but it's actually very difficult. Museums here look like everything else-grey and utilitarian.)... I ran into a mile-long line of people trickling out of the ticket office.

So after about 15 minutes, Jenny starts walking past me, so I snag her and spare her 15 minutes of waiting. It was absolute chance that we found each other, and it was good to have a friend to walk around with in the museum.

Soviet Artwork.
Equal people doing worthwhile things. Lots of harvesting wheat and playing soccer and growing industry... Beefy men and beefy women and plain clothing. Not very good artwork, but I'm not entirely sure how you qualify good artwork. Soviet artwork moved into modern artwork.

Modern Artwork.
My favorite piece: "Black Square"
Guess what it looked like.

Then we took the metro back to Arbat to see Measure for Measure, which surpassed Medea in every way imaginable.

And then I sprinted to the grocery from the metro because it was cold and I felt like running, picked up something to make for dinner, and came back here to the dorm. Analyzing The Cherry Orchard for a presentation for Theatre History, have a Russian Cinema paper due on Wednesday, first full scene run-through for Acting on Wednesday...

Busy. Yikes. Late night.

Lots of love.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment