Thursday, December 2, 2010

good night, moon

I should be asleep at the moment, because it was a long, long day. And I'm tired, but not going to sleep... you understand. These things happen.

Stage Combat: We're starting to make our own combinations, based on everything we've been taught, and are creating combinations with an audience in mind. So angles and perspective become a part of that equation, along with technique and, obviously, trying not to knock out your partner. Didn't yell at me today. That was encouraging.

Voice: Went really well. She helped me with a problem "that all sopranos have," apparently. I'm having trouble hitting low notes and am using a method of hitting them that keeps me from hitting the high notes later on. Make sense? Good. I have to use less breath to power the low notes. Before, I was trying to really punch them out, using a fair amount of diaphragm. But by making it easier for myself and singing low using my speaking voice, it made it easier to go up high. She has total confidence that I can hit all the high soprano notes, but I cracked today because I was afraid of my lower register. A constant problem. For all sopranos?

Acting: Rough. Just... rough. Having a difficult time getting through the beginning of our scene, and thus, haven't gotten very far. It's frustrating, and today Sasha really laid into me and Darren to give us a chance to find what we needed. And it worked, but made the rest of the day really... upsetting.

Despite being tired, we all went to see Sasha's show. It was entertaining, but very text-based, so we missed a lot of it. We did get a chance, however, to watch people act. Which sounds like a very "duh" statement, but people don't say a line, pause, think about it, say the next line with grave meaning, pause, pause, pause... When speaking to each other, we don't calculate absolutely everything. That's not a hard and fast rule, of course. But generally speaking, people talk over each other. As they hear a person speak, they're formulating a response and say something right after the other finishes. So that was a discovery. Hooray.

Came home, ate leftovers, rehearsed our scene. Frustrating again, but less so, and we'll see how class goes tomorrow.

For now, I have clean sheets and clean towels, a warm bed, a wonderful roommate, and hours of sleep ahead of me. So good night, moon.

love
m

No comments:

Post a Comment